Dr. Bret Contreras, aka “The Glute Guy” is the creator of the hip thrust exercise and expert in all things hip extension. Bret wears many hats, including personal trainer, sought-after speaker, blogger, researcher, author, and inventor. He is the founder of Booty by Bret and the owner of The Glute Lab, a premier strength and physique gym in San Diego, CA.
Dr. Contreras received a master’s degree from Arizona State University and later a Ph.D. in sports science/biomechanics from Auckland University of Technology. He is a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with Distinction from the National Strength & Conditioning Association. Contreras, an Arizona native, spent six year working as a high school math teacher prior to his career in performance and training.
Here, Bret goes in-depth into why so many sports medicine professionals end up convincing athletes they have issues by telling them how “dysfunctional” they are. However, when these same athletes come to him, he sees otherwise when those people end up training with him. He discusses the common fallacies of corrective exercise and also gives outstanding information on his specialty of the hip thrust movement.
In this podcast, Dr. Bret Contreras and Joel discuss:
- Specific equipment he has in his facility and why he chose it.
- Case studies connecting the hip thrust movement to increased speed.
- Bend range versus end range hip torque in athletic performance.
- Intricacies in the hip thrust exercise.
- Why he doesn’t use the word “dysfunctional” with his athletes.
- If glute size is an indicator of athletic ability.
Podcast total run time is 1:24:01.
Bret can be found at bretcontreras.com
Keywords: hip extension, speed development, athletic performance, hip thrust