Dr. Daniel Chao is the Chief Executive Officer at System1 Biosciences. He is a med-tech entrepreneur specializing in brain performance, and a member of the Board of Directors of Halo Neuroscience, based in San Francisco, which develops neuroscience-based technology that accelerates performance gains for elite athletes.
Dr. Chao graduated with a B.A. in Biochemistry from Cal State-Berkeley in 1993. He went on to the Stanford University School of Medicine, where he earned an M.S. in neuroscience in 1999 and his M.D. in 2002. His first product at Halo Sport stimulates the motor cortex during athletic training to accelerate gains in strength, endurance, and skill.
Dr. Chao goes in-depth on skill learning and the future of enhancing the brain for performance gains. He gives us his insights into learning, skill acquisition, and achieving better performance. Topics include neuroplasticity, neural drive, chemical versus electrical stimulation to the brain, and more.
In this podcast, Dr. Daniel Chao discusses with Joel:
- The usage of medical drugs in relation to the human brain and their effectiveness.
- The brain and its relationship to endurance performance.
- How chemicals can affect brain and learning performance.
- Teaching the brain to generate more neural drive to increase the rate of muscle fibers firing.
- The value of sleep.
- The importance of intent during repetition to reinforce feedback from practice.
Podcast total run time is 52:14.
Keywords: brain functions, neural training, brain performance, neuroplasticity