Jonas Dodoo is the Founder, Director, and Head Coach at Speedworks Training, a high-level training facility in London, U.K. He has also consulted with many professional sports teams and individual players, including Derby County FC, West Bromwich Albion, Arsenal, Bath RFU, Northampton Saints, Wasps Academy, Rugby 7’s, and Rugby 7’s Dan Norton.
Jonas attended Hartbury College, where he played rugby and attained a degree in coaching and an MSc in Coaching Science. He later became an apprentice coach for UK Athletics in 2009 under the tutelage of Dan Pfaff. He was also selected to be part of the Elite Coach Apprentice Program run by UK Sport. Dodoo is now a globally recognized sprints coach known for his sprinting technical expertise.
Dodoo gives us a look into his thought process for training some of the world’s most elite sprinters. He has great depth of knowledge in building speed not only for track athletes, but also team sports, and he gives his insight into all aspects of planning and periodization for speed.
In this podcast, Coach Jonas Dodoo discusses with Joel:
- The three speed attractors he looks for when developing speed in any athlete.
- The importance of regularly connecting the warm-ups, activation, and drills to the “fruit” of the event.
- The importance of being “fit” and its connection to being faster and stronger and having a greater speed reserve.
- The value of an athlete-centered program.
- Having a mentality that is based on good habits.
- Being creative in year-round programming.
Jonas Dodoo has also been interviewed on sprint training for SimpliFaster.
Podcast total run time is 46:25.
Keywords: potentiation, submaximal training, track and field, programming, speed and power