Joel Smith is the founder of Just Fly Sports and the JFS Podcast. Joel is an assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of California, Berkeley, where he works with swimming, tennis, and water polo. He is the author of the books Vertical Foundations, Vertical Ignition, and most recently, Speed Strength. Before coming to Cal-Berkeley, Smith coached track and strength and conditioning at Wilmington College of Ohio.
Coach Smith earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise science from Cedarville University in 2006 and a master’s degree in the same area from Wisconsin LaCrosse in 2008. He is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the NSCA and is also a USATF-certified coach.
Joel takes questions from listeners in this episode, covering a range of topics from strength and vertical jump to bounding and vertical jump transfer, training philosophy, and much more.
In this podcast, Joel discusses:
- The training methods of Marv Marinovich.
- Strength to vertical jump ratios.
- If Nordic curls are helpful in improving jumping.
- Practical ways to train vision in team sports.
- His concept for improving the educational system for sports performance coaches.
- Books he wished he had read at a younger age.
Podcast total run time is 45:05.
Joel Smith has written articles for SimpliFaster here.
Keywords: strength, speed, jumping, education, coaching philosophy